Friday, March 6, 2009

How to Make Perfect Boiled Eggs!

Posted by Picasa

Now, growing up, here is how I learned to make good boiled eggs:

1) Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
2) Bring to a rapid boil. Immediately place the lid on the pan.
3) Leave the pan on the burner, but turn the burner off. Let sit for 15 minutes.
4) Drain off hot water. Run cold water over the eggs for about 2 minutes.
5) Drain again, and leaving the eggs in the pan, shake pan back and forth several times so that the eggs bump up against each other and start to crack. They should be very easy to peel.

And here is another method- slightly different and a little faster, resulting in a tender soft egg. I call it "Mara's Method", since she's the one who taught me how to do it properly:

1) Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
2) Bring to a boil and boil for 6 minutes
3) Remove from heat and let sit uncovered, in the hot water, for 4-6 minutes
4) Drain off hot water, and run under cold water for about 2 minutes. Crack and peel.

Perfection! If the eggs aren't fresh, that is. The older an egg is, the easier it is to peel smoothly. Basically, that thin membrane between the egg and the shell loosens up and those shells should slide right off, compared to a fresh egg who's membrane is still tightly adhering to the shell. (For a more scientific explanation as to why this is, check out this link.)

So, what do you do if you want to make boiled eggs and only have fresh eggs on hand? My mother-in-law recently let me in on this little secret and I tell ya, it's kept me awake at night of pure delight! My "can't-make-boiled-eggs-till-they're-not-fresh-anymore" days are over! I can whip up a batch whenever I please.

So here's what you do:

1) Start a pan of cold water (size depending, of course, on how many eggs you want to boil).
2) Bring it to a boil.
3) Using a spoon, gently drop one egg at a time into the boiling water (it doesn't have to be boiling furiously, just a nice consistent rolling boil).
4) Set your timer for 18 minutes and let 'em cook. Don't worry about adjusting the heat-leave it as is. No need to cover with a lid.
5) When the timer beeps, drain off the hot water and let run under cold water about 2 minutes. Peel as usual.

This has worked beautifully for me each time! I've never had an egg crack, explode, or refuse to peel smoothly. I've dropped them in the water both cold and at room temperature.

Eggs are so healthy for you-great source of protein-and there are so many way to fix them!

You know, I used to detest deviled eggs and it wasn't until after I got married that I realized why. I don't like vinegar in the filling! And I don't like over-cooked eggs-can't stand whites so rubbery they squeak against my teeth. So here's what I put in my yolk filling- mayo, salt, pepper, garlic powder and THE SECRET INGREDIENT- curry! Tom and the kids absolutely love them. They never last. Scrumptious.

3 comments:

  1. Great tips, Rachel! The first is very similar to the method I've most often used, but I'm eager to try the other two as well. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS! I have been in the "wait until they are old" mold too, due to lack of tricks! THANKS for the great tips! We have a bunch of eggs these days, so this helps know what to do with them!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you for sharing your hard-boiling tips. I've always had the hardest time getting my eggs to peel easily. And...I've also never been a big fan of devilled eggs. I think I'll try out your recipe. Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Shannon @ Song of My Heart

    ReplyDelete