Thursday, May 6, 2010

Remembrances

In memory of my Grandpa Ray, Dad and Tom shared the following:

From Dad, step-son:
Ray would always want to tell a joke, even if you didn't want to hear it, And some of his jokes were as old or older than he was.

The older Ray got the worse his neuropathy became, making it difficult for him to walk.  One day I was at their house working in the backyard on their sunroom addition and Ray had walked from the garage to the backyard.  After a bit I realized he was laying on the ground because he had tripped over a concrete downspout drain.  I said, "What are you doing down there?"  His reply was something like, "I'm looking for worms."

Even though Ray had difficulty walking (without his cane, his gait was a double-s pattern) due to his neuropathy, he not only bowled every Tuesday, but had a decent average of 155.

Ray was generous with his family.

He wasn't afraid to embarrass you in public, but it usually was from a good-natured remark.



From Tom, grandson-in-law:
He always had a joke, full of fun.  He loved to see people laugh.
He loved to hunt and fish.  At 85 he went deer hunting last year.
He loved football and baseball.  It was a lot of fun watching the super bowl this year with him. His team won.
He loved to bowl.  He left me in the dust every time I bowled with him.
I have very fond memories of playing Yahtzee and checkers together.
He would often ask if I was enjoying life.  He would encourage me to be making memories with my family.
He loved kids.  My kids will miss their great-grandpa very much.
Grandpa will always be remembered as a fun person to be with.  He would give you a big hug and say,”God loves you and so do I”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment