Friday, October 10, 2008

Wheat Berry Salad with Bacon




As my friends and family know, I love to try new recipes. Hardly a week goes by without me trying at least one new dish. A few weeks ago, I came across this recipe in my Real Simple magazine (thanks Mara!). I do love that magazine. :) Anyway, it was surprisingly full of flavor. It's one of those recipes that is hard to make substitutions with-you need all those ingredients to get just the right "zing". The only thing I did differently was to use baby spinach instead of the fresh flat-leaf parsley the recipe calls for. I added just a tad of dried parsley instead (I'm not a big fan of parsley).
I served it with quiche lorraine, and the whole family enjoyed it. The wheat berries are so healthy for you, and filling too. It was a simple but homey meal.

You can find the recipe online here.
The Real Simple website lists some other whole grain recipes, too. I have Montana hard white wheat berries on hand (the very same I make bread with), and that is what I used in this recipe. Fantastic!


No comments:

Post a Comment