Monday, October 27, 2008

The Crockpot Wins!

Crockpot-Roasted-Chicken= Delicious-Easy-Dinner! The chicken roasted slowly all afternoon, rubbed with herbs, butter, and a little wine. The result was tender and tasty-almost guiltily simple! I quickly made mashed potatoes while Hosanna and Caleb chopped carrots to be sauteed in butter. It was a meal the whole family loved.

I try to use my crockpot at least once a week, usually on days when I am away from home. Saves time and money, always a plus! It's so nice to come home from a day of shopping or homeschool activities to find a comforting dinner bubbling in the crock.

Recently, I found this fabulous blog about an industrious gal and her crockpot adventures. One whole year of using her crockpot every single day! She lists recipes and pictures and detailed information on recipes she loved and those she didn't-and why she thinks they flopped. She was even featured on a Rachel Ray show! I'm excited about her "making-yogurt-in-a-crockpot" recipe and look forward to trying it this week.

Here's a recent favorite crockpot recipe of my own. It came from my sister-in-law, Grace, and I've made it twice in the crock with great success. (My slight alterations to her recipe are in italics):

Lentil Rice Soup

Saute`:
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup chpd celery
3/4 cup chpd onion

Add:
6 cups water I use broth or a combination of broth and water
3/4 cup lentils*

Add:
1- 28 ounce can puree or petite diced tomatoes We prefer puree-the soup turns out creamier and thicker. My kids aren't thrilled with tomato chunks!
3/4 cup rice I use brown
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Put everything into the crockpot for 4-5 hours. You can add a dollop of sour cream in the bowl when serving. Great with oyster crackers or homemade rolls.

* If you prefer to quick cook, at this point you can simmer for 20 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and cook for 45-60 minutes in a soup pot till done.

No comments:

Post a Comment