Sunday, March 2, 2008

Pooh & Company

I can't believe I missed out on this gem of a book until recently, when Mara gave the children "The World of Pooh" for Christmas. We're about halfway through and enjoying every chapter. Hosanna and Caleb listen attentively as I read, but I think I'm picking up on the humor more. The style of writing is very endearing; definitely a book for all ages!
I've decided that Hosanna reminds me of Tigger, and Caleb is Owl.

Here's an excerpt from the chapter entitled, Tigger Has Breakfast:

(Pooh is composing a poem about Tigger)

" 'But whatever his weight in pounds, shillings, and ounces,
He always seems bigger because of his bounces.'

"And that's the whole poem," he said. "Do you like it, Piglet?"

"All except the shillings," said Piglet. "I don't think they ought to be there."

"They wanted to come in after the pounds," exxplained Pooh, "so I let them. It is the best way to write poetry, letting things come."

"Oh, I didn't know," said Piglet.

No comments:

Post a Comment